pop3 server on NetBSD
Mayuresh
2022-04-27 10:09:56 UTC
I have a procmail based setup where some users on my server would forward
the incoming mail to their gmail boxes.

For many years it was working fine. But now gmail has started rejecting
those forwards.

I am thinking of using pop server and let gmail users pull the mails to
their gmail mailbox (instead of using procmail).

Which pop server will be advisable for this. (I'd prefer if it's in the
base, but if not then pkgsrc is ok.)
--
Mayuresh

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Niels Dettenbach
2022-04-27 10:24:43 UTC
Post by Mayuresh
Which pop server will be advisable for this. (I'd prefer if it's in the
base, but if not then pkgsrc is ok.)
cyrus-imapd (3.x from wip)

just my .02 $

niels.
--
---
Niels Dettenbach

i***@cs.uni-bonn.de
2022-04-27 12:14:57 UTC
Hello,
Post by Mayuresh
I am thinking of using pop server and let gmail users pull the mails to
their gmail mailbox (instead of using procmail).
Which pop server will be advisable for this. (I'd prefer if it's in the
base, but if not then pkgsrc is ok.)
If they insist... I've used qpopper in the more distant past, and am
operating dovecot currently, including one (recent) pop3 user.

dovecots configuration might be a bit overwhelming at first...

(I'm using it for imap, so using it - and thus the already
working auth setup without seperate work, and abandoning the
qpopper package, was an easy decision.)

-is

Martin Neitzel
2022-04-27 12:47:46 UTC
Post by Mayuresh
Which pop server will be advisable for this. (I'd prefer if it's in the
base, but if not then pkgsrc is ok.)
We have no POP server in base but quite a few in pkgsrc:

$ pkgin se pop3 | grep -Ei 'server|daemon' | ...

cucipop-1.31nb3 The Cubic Circle POP3 mail server
dovecot-2.3.14 Secure IMAP and POP3 server
imap-uw-2007fnb9 University of Washington's IMAP, POP2, and POP3 servers
nopop3d-20201030 POP3 server for when you don't want mail
popa3d-1.0.3 Secure, reliable, performant, and small pop3 server
pulsar-0.1.1nb10 Small, secure POP3 daemon, featuring native SSL support
solid-pop3d-0.15 Flexible POP3 server
teapop-0.3.8nb20 Yet another RFC1939 compliant POP3 server

Personally, I have good experiences with both cucipop and popa3d.
They are small, lean, and easy to configure. These days, one would
probably also put them behind a TLS wrapper -- there's "stunnel"
in pkgsrc, and it's proven to work nicely together. All these tools
also you IPv6 support. Which "pulsar", sadly, does not.

The dovecot / imap-uw / cyrus-imapd are huge and complex because IMAP
has so much more demands. Life is so much easier (server-side) if
you can avoid IMAP and really just offer POP3. (Out of those 3,
I only like dovecot -- YMMV).

Martin

Mayuresh
2022-04-27 13:57:41 UTC
Post by Martin Neitzel
$ pkgin se pop3 | grep -Ei 'server|daemon' | ...
cucipop-1.31nb3 The Cubic Circle POP3 mail server
dovecot-2.3.14 Secure IMAP and POP3 server
imap-uw-2007fnb9 University of Washington's IMAP, POP2, and POP3 servers
nopop3d-20201030 POP3 server for when you don't want mail
popa3d-1.0.3 Secure, reliable, performant, and small pop3 server
pulsar-0.1.1nb10 Small, secure POP3 daemon, featuring native SSL support
solid-pop3d-0.15 Flexible POP3 server
teapop-0.3.8nb20 Yet another RFC1939 compliant POP3 server
Thanks.

Curious if there are any that can integrate with blacklistd / blocklistd.
--
Mayuresh

Mayuresh
2022-04-27 16:06:45 UTC
Post by Martin Neitzel
teapop-0.3.8nb20 Yet another RFC1939 compliant POP3 server
I notice sdf uses teapop. As they are a long term NetBSD site I presume
that must be a careful choice. Can anyone confirm if it works for you?
--
Mayuresh